I am currently reading this book, “Becoming Vegan“. Although I have been a vegan for more than 5 years, I still like to read things that are basic to see if I missed anything and what I can improve on.
So why tofu rocks?
- Proteins are composed of 22 amino acids. Out of the 22, 9 are called essential amino acids. They have to be consumed.
- For a proper diet, each person has to consume about 0.8 g protein per kg body weight. For vegans and vegetarians, with the digestibility of the protein, generally it’s recommended for them to have a protein intake of 0.9 g protein per kg body weight.
So, milk, eggs, and tofu are considered good protein sources because they have met the 9 essential amino acids recommended quantity. However:
- Say a person weighs 120 lb., that is 54.5 kg, thus needs 49.1 g protein per day.
- 1 medium egg provides 5.5 g of protein, and this person would need 8.9 eggs per day.
- 1 cup of 2% milk provides 8.1 g protein, so this person would need 6.1 cups of milk per day.
- 1 cup of firm tofu provides 40 g protein, so this person only needs 1.2 cup of tofu!!!
Plus tofu doesn’t contain that much fat, whereas if you drink 6.1 cups of 2% milk, it’s still a lot of fat!